Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:13:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Paulette McGee <paulette_mcgee@yahoo.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp set up

--- Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Please wrap your lines around 72 characters.

> > I wonder if someone could point me to a reliable
> detailed resource for
> > configuring an ftp server on freebsd 6.1 for both
> incoming and outgoing
> > files (including anonymous ftp).
> >
> > I do not want anonymous uploaders to view existing
> file names in
> > ftp/incoming or be able to download from incoming.
> I want the server as
> > secure as is reasonably practicable. The notes in
> the freebsd handbook are
> > not really comprehensive enough for me.
>
> Please don't do this.  Please don't even try.
>
> Never try to use the word "secure" in the same
> sentence as "ftp".  They don't
> fit in the same sentence.
>
> Set up ssh, then have Windows users use WinSCP.
>
> Let me tell a little story.  A few years back I was
> asked to set up "secure
> ftp" for a client.  I argued, but he insisted, and
> "the customer is always
> right", so I set it up for him.
>
> The plan, to keep it secure, was to enable the FTP
> server when it was needed,
> and disable it when the transfer was complete.
>
> Well, one day he forgot to turn it off.  A few weeks
> later he went to enable
> it for another transfer and noticed a bunch of files
> on the server he didn't
> recognize.
>
> Someone had guessed the password and was using his
> FTP server to transfer files
> of a most unsavory nature.
>
> After we destroyed the files, changed the passwords,
> etc -- he decided to keep
> using the FTP (in spite of the incident).  The only
> problem, he argued, was
> that we'd forgot to turn it off.
>
> But the crook now had our address.  The next time he
> enabled that server, it
> wasn't more than a few hours before the crook was
> using it to move around
> his files again.  The guy must have set up some
> monitoring to alert him when
> the FTP site came up, then he either had a sniffer
> to get the password or
> he was able to brute-force it really fast.
>
> I tell that story when people tell me that the data
> their transferring isn't
> sensitive, and therefore using FTP isn't a security
> risk.  It still is.  The
> only time it's OK to use FTP is when it's download
> only and the files are
> publicly available.  Any other time, FTP is a
> liability.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Just an informational bit for the windows users that
will transfer files:

WinSCP
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

Filezilla
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

Portable FileZilla
http://portableapps.com/

PS: The portable version of FileZilla doesn't require
an install on Windows.

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/