Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 19:08:10 -0700
From:      "Don O'Neil" <don@whtech.com>
To:        "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>, "Don O'Neil" <don@whtech.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Help w/ Awk

That's a simpler way of doing it, but doesn't accomplish what I'm trying to
do. I'm trying to be able to loop through each user and get it's UID/GID and
do stuff...

My problem wasn't with my AWK statement, but with my for/next loop.

For whatever reason (still unknown), the for Line in Password was failing,
and was returning multiple lines, like there were EOL's embedded in the
lines.

I ended up doing a hybrid of your technique... first stripping the
/etc/password of the 3 components I needed and making a new file, then
looping through the lines it it.

Weird.

Don