Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 02:48:01 +0200 (EET)
From:      Juha Inkari <inkari@snakemail.hut.fi>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   install trouble on 1104 SNAP

Basically, I was unable to install the 2.1.0-951104-SNAP with the boot
disk installer. Below is a short failure report, but I can provide
more detailed description of the setup, and retry the troublesome
operations, if anybody wants to hear more of it.

Trouble hardware was 486DX266MHz, 32M ram, Adaptec 1542B, Quantum
Grand Prix XP34301 4G drive.

I went with the "expert" installation menu, and used the partition,
and disklabel editors.

* fdisk and geometry

"Fdisk" editor reported all sorts of drive geometries varying from
4076 cylinders to 200000 cylinders. The values that it did not
complain to be incompatible with BIOS were 14703/13/44
(cyl/heads/sectors). The drives "natural" geometry is 4076 cyls, 20
heads, and average 103 sectors per track.

With the fdisk editor, I tried one slice, two slice and totally
dedicated disk partitions (with different geometries) and run into
trouble with the disk label editor.

* label editor: panics and failures

After determining the partition sizes (with, for example the auto
calculation option) and trying to write out the changes, what happens
is:

Sometimes I get panic, in "alloc bounce buffer" routine or similar.

Other times the add swap and newfs commands just fail. This seems to
be due to disklabel, that does not seem to have made its way to the
disk at all.

Panics seem to be involved with disk configured to one or two slices
and the latter newfs symptoms with the "totally dedicated" disk
configuration.

* disk is ok

After all, I was able to install to the disk manually (fdisk, hand
generated disklabel etc.) with a little help from already running
system.

* label editor: not recognizing the disklabel

And when I return to the installer's label editor after written the
disklabel and creating the filesystems, the label editor does not seem
to recognize the label and filesystems (so that I could mount from the
label editor, and proceed with the installation).

* extract only not finding distributions

And one thing with the extract only operation in the installer. It
complained that it could not find the distribution, when the normal
commit procedure finds the files. It seems, that if I do extract only,
it assumes name/name.tgz, whereas the normal installer commit looks
from name/name.aa etc.