Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:32:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dave@atkinshome.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cpu utilization on multi-processor machine

What is the most accurate command to obtain the current cpu utilization and
memory usage on a dual processor system? Basically, I am looking for something
analogous to the task/manager / performance monitor in Windows (but not
graphical--I don't install any of that stuff on the BSD boxes).

I have used various commands such as systat, top, and vmstat but
1) they do not break down CPU utilization into the two processors
2) they do not appear to report a comparable (to Windows) %utilization number
3) I don't understand how to interpret all the memory metrics into a simple data
point - percent of physical memory used.

If anyone can post example syntax with results and how to interpret them, this
would be great. I'm not a total Windows tool or anything...but in my mixed
environment, I need some comparable metrics to demonstrate what I hope is
true...that freeBSD is outperfoming Windows.

Dave Atkins