Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:02:22 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        freebsd-gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   bsd.gnomeng.mk

I do not understand how this whole framework is supposed to work.
 According to Joe's new FAQ, just putting WITHOUT_GNOME=yes in
/etc/make.conf is supposed to prevent re-making of the gnome1 thingies.

However, since gdm2 does not work, I have to reinstall gdm.  When I go
to reinstall gdm, it tries to reinstall gnomecore.  This is really
wrong!  The only way I have been able to prevent gdm from working on
gnomecore is to change the USE_GNOME in the gdm Makefile to WITH_GNOME.

My /etc/make.conf includes the following lines

WITHOUT_GNMOE=yes
WITH_GNOMENG=yes

What should it *really* contain?

When will gdm2 be fixed?

I suspect that the gdm2 problem must somehow be related to
yet-another-stupid-shared-lib-bug, but which library do I have left
dangling and how to I find it?  I really think it is a PAM problem, but
I don't know how to debug it.  Enabling the log messages in gdm.conf
does no good as it seems to be stuck in gdmlogin (?) and there are no
debugging messages coming from it.

Sigh....at least I got past the gnome-session core dumping...

/Joe