Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:41:51 -0500
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: native jdk 1.4

Would it make sense to use the Apache Portable Runtime as a base for
the FreeBSD Java VM?

I figure that it was created due to the difference in pthread support
between platforms and if you base the Java VM on top of APR then you
can let APR do what it has to do and the JVM code can be much more
portable.

My skills do not lie in this area, but it would make sense if you port
the software to work with APR it would simplify work to move it to
NetBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin and possibly over to Linux and MacOS X.  If all
works out ideally, you could serve up identical code for each platform
and APR is the piece which conforms to the environment.

But again, I do not know the deep technical details.  I would be
curious as to the main VM developers on this list.

- Brennan