Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:53:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      International Man of Mystery <wcooley@nakedape.navi.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another question on mail and attachments

I know this should be doable with procmail and possibly requiring
metamail, but I'd like to know if a system exists that will:  Examine
incoming mail for MIME attachments, save the attachments in some
publically accessible place (ie, FTP /pub/hidden; web space), and
send a message with the URL to the file to the user.  (It would of course
expire the attachment after, say, 4 days or so.)

This seems like a very useful thing to be able to provide to users, as it
would make their receiving of attachments easier.

I switched from qpopper to cucipop to help users with this problem; while
it helps, it doesn't protect users who may receive very large files and
are surprised by it.

Also, it would be /very/ cool to be able to provide it for mail coming
from our users; this way, we won't get complaints about people they send
attachments to not being able to receive them.  (Yeah, I know, we could
insist that they FTP it, but that requires /teaching/ them, which is
pretty impossible.)  Does anyone have an idea of how to do this?  It seems
like it would require special configuration of Sendmail to filter outgoing
mail...

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                             Naked Ape Consulting
wcooley@nakedape.navi.net                http://nakedape.navi.net

   Internet Meta-Resources: http://nakedape.navi.net/meta-res/
	       "All the Net you need to be a geek."

Mencken and Nathan's Second Law of The Average American:
	All the postmasters in small towns read all the postcards.