Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:34:29 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Boot

On 21/03/2011 13:48, Michael Klapheke wrote:
> Hi.  I know this subject has been addressed in other posts, but I cannot seem to get it to work.  I have inherited a FreeBSD server and I cannot get it to boot properly.  I read the articles on avoiding having to press the F1 key, and I tried to follow the suggestions (note, my disks are labeled "da0s1" etc.  instead of "ad0") as in the following:
>
> boot0cfg -B -b /boot/boot0 /dev/da0
>
> or even
>
> fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 /dev/da0
>
> Neither of these prevents the user from having to press the F1 key.

It's not a configurable parameter of the boot loader, you need a
different boot loader ("default").

However, why is that a problem? The user doesn't *have* to press the F1
key, he can just wait 5 seconds or so and the boot will proceed with the
last boot choice.

> I also read the tutorial on how FreeBSD boots, but I cannot find anything that helps.

T think the relevant lines from boot0cfg(8) are:

      To go back to non-interactive booting, use fdisk(8) to install the
      default MBR:

            fdisk -B ad0