Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:34:43 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>, doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How To's

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 01:12:37PM +0100, Steve Roome wrote:
> > Please, by all means submit;
> >
> >    a)  New articles, following the examples under doc/en*/articles/
>
> What are your thoughts on articles which follow no format whatsoever ?

These would be an article consisting of just one section.

> > We like both kinds of changes.  See http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/ for
> > details about submitting changes and additions using the PR system, which
> > lets these things be tracked.
>
> It's a great system. But really, submissions@docs.freebsd.org in any
> format would be IMHO a good idea, or something like that ?
>
> How about mailing them here ?

That could work -- the problem is that it's very easy for them to be lost
in to the archives, never to be seen again.  If people send them as PRs then
at least they sit somewhere publically visible, waiting for someone to pick
up on them -- that someone doesn't necessarily need to be a committer;  if
I'm working through the PR database, a PR that has a couple of comments
attached that say something like "This document is great, I followed it's
instructions, and everything works" makes it much easier for me (or another
committer) to make the decision to commit it, particularly when it documents
something outside our sphere of expertise.

How would people feel about having all doc PRs automatically sent to this
list as well?  That would help boost their visibility.