Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 17:48:32 -0500
From:      Jamie Rishaw <jamie@arpa.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        chris@calldei.com, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG, jamie@exodus.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 remote reboot exploit (fwd)

Actually, I'm not on any fbsd mail lists, and I'm in the process
of moving from Chicago to LA.  This is the first time I've been on
my mail in quite a while. (Days).

I'll get a tcpdump some time when I can get someone to reset a
box, but it's not exactly on my list of priorities to have production
boxen of mine rebooted mid-stream.

I'm perhaps the biggest fbsd proponent in my company.. I did not
intend to slander or annoy anyone,. rather, to get people out trying
to figure out what the exploit is, and get to work.

For everyone's info, the boxen were rebooted first, then responsibility
was claimed later.  I didn't know of these attacks until after they
were done.  As far as "the second machine", the second machine is one
of several machiens.  The second machine is in a different physical
location, different backbone, different hardware.  It does about two
megabits/sec, so running a blind "tcpdump" is really not possible.

Any flames from this will be /dev/null'd.  I'm not out to fight
with anyone about anything.  No time.

-jamie

--
jamie rishaw <jamie@arpa.com>
"Ammo, 200 rounds: $75. Semi-Automatic Rifle: $675. Ski-Mask: $10. Kenneth Cole