Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 09:29:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        frode@nordahl.net (Frode Nordahl)
Cc:        hm@hcs.de, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubles with the Winbond PCI ISDN card

Frode Nordahl wrote:

> I also experience problems with an Winbond-based PCI internal TA (Asuscom PCI
> shit.  If anyone has a ISDN card they are extreemely happy with, please let
> me know :) )
>
> The connection frezes now and then without any obvious reason.  Sometimes it
> may run for hours, other times it takes 10 minutes and it's down.
[...]
> Do you have any idea what makes this happen?  What is the development status
> for the iwic driver?
>
> Any sollutions/workarounds?

First of all, i doubt that the Asuscom hardware is bad. I got the impression
that the people there know exactly what they are doing and do very good
engineering work.

It is not the card to blame but the driver. And the driver can only be as
good as people are giving (immediate) feedback _and_ are trying to debug
and fix a broken or buggy driver.

I have no idea what causes this, but i will put my Winbond card in a live
system and see if i can debug the driver (although i will not be able to
do this before two weeks from now: sorry, but i have a life in a parallel
universe called "real world" going on ...).

There is no reason why the Winbond based cards should not work flawlessly
once they are debugged. Other hardware drivers are now two or three years
old whereas the Winbond driver is very new. Many people have fixed and
contributed to other drivers, noone did so far for the Winbond driver; in
fact this is almost the first report for it.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...