Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 15:29:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Resolved: Re: dc0: couldn't map ports/memory

Back in April I posted the following problem:

On 28-Apr-00 at 00:12, patl@phoenix.volant.org (patl@phoenix.volant.org) wrote:
> I've just installed FreeBSD 4.0R on an Hitachi VisionBook Pro 7590.
> During the boot, when the probe checks the builtin NIC, it reports:
>
>      dc0: <Intel 21143 10/100BaseTX> irq 11 at device 11.0 on pci0
>      dc0: couldn't map ports/memory
>      device_probe_and_attach: dc0 attach returned 6
>
> Windows98 lists this device as:
>
>      Class: Network adapters
>      Device: PCI Fast Ethernet DEC 21143 Based Adapter
>      Resources:
>        IRQ: 11
>        I/O: 1080h-10FFh
>        MEM: 09043000h-090433FFh
>
> What do I need to do to get FreeBSD to correctly handle this device?

I didn't recieve any replies; so I left it as a Windows-only machine.
Now that I have 4.1R in hand, and a few spare cycles; I thought I'd
give it another try in the hope that 4.1 would give me better results.

It didn't.  And it also reported a "could not map" problem for the
UHCI controller.  (4.0 may have also done that - I didn't really
notice.)  But this time I tried a few more things.  It turns out that
turning 'Plug and Play OS' OFF in the BIOS fixed both problems.  The
Hitachi is now happily CVSupping -stable via it's built-in Ethernet
port.  So I thought I'd follow up to my original question in case it
is of help to anyone else.

-Pat