Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:38:05 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1045521486.a2e8ef@mired.org>
To:        "Daxbert" <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
Cc:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, "Heinrich Rebehn" <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why is there no JFS?

In <045401c2d2db$f9d45c30$0a0aa8c0@dweebsoft.com>, Daxbert <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com> typed:
> Is anybody currently working on or does there exist
> a JFS for FreeBSD?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no JFS, and nobody is working on
one.

> I've read in the archives, the discussion about
> not really needing JFS because of the benefits of
> softupdates. As well as some talk about BSD / GPL
> license issues.

That should have answered most of your questions. Possibly you need
the -current and/or -hackers archives as well.

> Is there not a JFS for FreeBSD becuase, Softupdates
> do the job just fine and nobody has the
> time or interest to work on this?

Softupdates with a background fsck solve the problem of wanting to
come back up quickly after a crash, which is the most common reason
people ask for a JFS.

> I'm not running FreeBSD 5.x. So I'm not able to take
> advantage of the background fsck. Can anybody comment
> on their success w/ the background fsck?

Someone in the archives indicated that there limited testing things
worked fine. I assume Kirk has tested this as well.

> If a JFS were to be ported and/or developed for FreeBSD
> what should it be based on? XFS, JFS, ReiserFS???

One with a license that will let it be distributed in the core. That
lets out GPL'ed code, and I believe it lets out XFS as well, though
I'm not positive on that.

> Who would be considered the "maintainer" for this type of
> work?

Whoever did the work, of course.

	<mike