Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:38:31 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, questions@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Debug kernel by default (was: System size with -g)

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 04:51:39PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

> To answer your question: a typical (partially) stripped kernel is
> about 1.8 MB in size.  The corresponding debug kernel is about 9 MB
> (since ELF; a.out debug kernels are about 3 MB larger).  This space is
> *in memory at all times*, so you don't normally want to load it, but
> it's good to have for dump analysis.
>
> Here are some comparative figures for building a kernel on my main
> machine (AMD K6-2/333, 160 MB memory):
>
> 		normal		debug
> Make all	4:30		5:0
> Kernel size	1.8 MB		9 MB
> Directory size	5.5 MB		24 MB

Out of interest I did a ``make all'' on the 3.1-R GENERIC kernel and
these are my figures. My machine is an AMD K6/233 (an original K6,
not a -2), 64MB memory, 128MB swap, U/W SCSI HD:

 		normal
 Make all	4:25
 Kernel size	2.2 MB
 Directory size	6.3 MB

Are the clock and clock multiplier jumpers set correctly on your
m/b ;-).