Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:16:44 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        john@cruzweb.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Motherboards

Doug Hardie wrote:

>> I have a number of servers that are reaching end of life.
>> They are over 7 years old and I can no longer find IDE
>> drives that work with the slower controllers they have.
>> These are all towers and use ASUS motherboards.
>> Those were quite cheap at the time and the boards
>> have worked very well over the years.  However, I am
>> now hearing rumers that ASUS motherboards are no
>> longer the best quality and probably should be avoided.
>> Don't need much on the machines, but do have to have
>> 2 NICs and a SCSI controller on each.  What are good,
>> rock solid, motherboards with FreeBSD 6.0?
>

 > John Cruz wrote:

 > I have to recommend MSI. I haven't run BSD on one yet
 > but they have always given me great performance and
 > reliability over time. They're not the cheapest, but I'd still
 > rather have a low-end MSI board then the most expensive
 > Abit or PC Chips board

Interesting.  I've not used a great many MSI boards,
that's "Micro-Star International", but I'm sitting on
one ATM.  It "feels" cheap, but it runs quite well enough,
considering it's FAMP devel/app server, LAN gateway/DNS,
FTP server, and my desktop.

I've pretty much given up on SOYO for reasons I can't
even really remember ... I *think* it had to do with their
phone support and return policy; I've several dead older
SOYO boards in some drawer around here, a couple of
which were DOA at the time, IIRC.

OP:  2 NICS no issue here on older MSI board; also, this
is the third "motherboard" thread this month (not
complaining, but you can find more advice in the
archives, perhaps.)

Kevin Kinsey

--
The days are all empty and the nights are unreal.