Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:34:09 -0400
From:      Bob Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting sio2 to work

Hi,

I've got a Gateway Pentium II with a Promise Ultra100 controller.
When I installed the modem, under Win95, it got installed on COM3.
I've recently installed FreeBSD 4.3 on another partition. I've been
trying to set up PPP so that I can connect to my ISP. Since sio2=COM3
is disabled under the GENERIC kernel, this doesn't work. I compiled a
new kernal in which I made only the following changes.
1) eliminated all cpus except I686_CPU
2) changed ident from GENERIC to STAUNTON
3) enabled sio2 with the line
       device   sio2 at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 5
    In other words, I removed the word 'disable' from the above line.
The resulting kernel runs fine, but I still can't use the modem. Entering
'dmesg | grep sio2' returns
    sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
Entering 'stty -f /dev/cuaa2 -a' returns
    stty: /dev/cuaa2: Device not configured

I've read everything I can find on modems in 'The Complete FreeBSD'
by Greg Lehey 3rd edition, and all the FAQs, tutorial, and handbook
articles that I can find on the FreeBSD web site. Any help you can
give me will be appreciated.

TIA,
Bob Hall
Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.     -Khushhal Khan Khatak
MySQL list magic words: sql query database