Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 16:27:43 -0400
From:      "John R. LoVerso" <loverso@sitaranetworks.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kingston 10/100 enet (3.2-BETA)

> I'm trying to get a Kingston 10/100 ethernet card working in a Pentium II
> box.  This card uses a 21140-AF, so I expected it should work.

To follow-up on my own post, this was a Dumb User Error (tm).  The BIOS was set
for PnP for the Win98 that was previously on the box, and I hadn't switched it
off when installing 3.2-BETA.  The box is now running 3.2-RELEASE with three
10/100 cards installed and operating correctly.

However, the patches I sent for pci/if_de.c should still be considered, as they
at least help tell why a card isn't attach()ing!  For instance, I finally
thought to check the PnP after I plugged in a newer Kingston 10/100 card using
the PNIC (a Tulip clone) and saw similar failure messages from if_pn.c.

John