Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 12:51:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Dan Moschuk <dan@trinsec.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Database holywars?

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Dan Moschuk wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've taken up a project that will rely very heavily on remote database
> access.  Naturally, the choice as to which database engine to use is a
> crucial one.
>
> I'd like to stay away from the commercial database suites (i.e. Oracle) for
> the time being, however I will eventually move to it once the database grows
> to over 100M records.  In the meantime however, I'm debating heavily between
> MySQL and Berkeley DB with a multi-threaded socket frontend.
>
> Suggestions and comments?

What's more important, flexibility to make changes, or speed?  Anything
that implements sql has to be far slower, but if you make many changes,
you're going to heavily regret choosing a set of C language functions
as the base of your DB.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).