Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:48:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        ali@XCF.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad blocks

On 11 Sep 1997 ali@XCF.Berkeley.EDU wrote:

> Hi.
> Some AMI diag program tells me i have bad blocks on my disk.
> If I do "tar cvf /dev/null /usr" I will get a message from the
> kernel saying "sd0(ahc0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:534195 csi:c,8f,3,76 asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error sks:80,80."
>
> Several times. Is the way to fix this to place the bad block(s) in a bad block
> list somewhere? How do I do that?

You should make sure that bad sector remapping is enabled for your drive.
Run `scsi -f /dev/sd0 -m 0' to look at the current settings.  The top two
you want to make sure are set to 1.  if not, run `scsi -f /dev/sd0 -m 3
-e' to edit the profile. Of course you have to be root.  For more info,
check out the FAQ or the mail archives.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo