Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:56:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Sendmail deprecation ?

Mike Karels wrote:
> Use dma.  That would apparently suffice for some systems, and is already
>  in base.  However, in my opinion, it is missing some capabilities ...
>  it is not as well integrated into the system.  It wasn't
>  immediately obvious to me how to enable it, until I followed the
>  "See Also" to mailwrapper

DMA has the best KIS, however, as you note it lacks key feature/s.  IMO,
it should be moved to ports.  Mailwrapper should be moved as well
(following the example of javavmwrapper).  We've had so many issues with
mailwrapper that it now is deleted on install, as well as **/etc/mail.

> Use the sendmail in ports.

When even sendmail's author recommends against it?

> Use some other MTA

Until Postfix has a BSD-compatible license my vote goes to OpenSMTPD
configured not to listen to port 25 (for KIS and to keep it from being
shared with jail localhosts).

Roger