Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:15:50 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files src/sys/dev/vx if_vx.c if_vxreg.h src/sys/i386/apm apm.c src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC files.i386 src/sys/i386/eisa 3c5x9.c aha1742.c aic7770.c bt74x.c eisaconf.c eisaconf.h if_fea.c if_vx_eisa.c src/sys/i386/i386 autoconf.c ...

>>How much storage do I need in order to realloc the arrays?  Is it bounded?
>
>No, but it is too small to matter.  63 transactions on each of 520 drives
>can be supported using just two blocks of size 4K.  Each queue entry takes
>only 2 bits.  This is 96 times denser than the current callout table.

And runs in roughly O(n) time every time the interval timer expires. You
also leave out the part about being able to index to transaction whose
timer actually expired which will take additional space. If you have 520
drives, you can probably spare the 1MB that is used in the current scheme.

>Only clients that need a large number of timeouts.  I think there aren't
>many, and the ones that do can benefit from a special solutions.

We'll see.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations