Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:01:01 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Graeme=20Chambers?= <transform_bsd@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony ATAPI CDRW problems

=?iso-8859-1?q?Graeme=20Chambers?= writes:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed FreeBSD 4.3 and am having a bit
> of trouble with my Sony CRX140E (32x8x4) cdrw drive.

I have a Sony 160E jumpered as master on the primary IDE interface with
nothing connected as slave, Asus P2B-S MB (Intel BX chipset). Has been
the most trouble free IDE CD combination I've ever had. Sony's Windows
software stinks, Retrospect rocks! but this is FreeBSD.

Installed 4.2-RELEASE on it this afternoon because that's the only CDROM
I had laying around. Once again, no problems. Suggest you look for
something odd. Such as whether or not the drive is strapped as a slave
but has no master on the cable. Or if the BIOS settings have the drive
locked in an odd mode. "Ultra DMA enabled" and everything else "auto"
worked for me.

Classically not all IDE devices pair off well as master/slave on the
same cable. Things are much better these days but if the 140E is on the
same cable with something else its worth moving to see if that helps.

What prompted me to dig into the BIOS on this machine today was the
parallel printer port wasn't working under NT4. Then I accidently
turned off the secondary IDE and the Zip drive quit working. Took a
while to figure out the IDE interface was turned off. Took much less
time to find my ISA parallel printer card and built in parallel port
were set to the same address. Was dumbfounded as to how changing the
built in parallel printer port address clobbered the Zip drive.  :-O
(answer: it didn't, but the IDE interface was controlled by the line
above the parallel printer interface stuff.)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net