Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:29:34 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
Cc:        Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br>, John Hennessy <johnh@paradox.net.au>, "amanda-users@amanda.org" <amanda-users@amanda.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Amrecover error message deciphered.

FreeBSD Questions wrote:

> Jan 20 08:09:27 mail /kernel: st0(ahc0:1:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0
> Invalid command operation code
>
> I need to translate that message to human understandable language.
>
> Can someone point me to a place where I can find answers on this problem or
> should I replace the tape drive, drivers, tapes, etc.?

OK, I'm not an expert but here goes...

Your software asked the SCSI system to ask the tape drive to do something
(probably a 'standard' SCSI command) that the tape drive could not perform,
either because it doens't support the command - or some of the parameters were
unsupported...

It could also be caused (I'd guess) by the command getting corrupted on it's
way to your tape drive... Check (and double check) your termination, make sure
the tape is good... You mention Amanda? - If you take a blank tape, put it in
the drive and then do:

tar cvf /dev/nrst0 /etc
mt rewind
tar tvf /dev/nrst0

Does it work? - The above should (unless I've done a typo) backup the etc.
directory to tape, command the tape to rewind - and then test what it's
written... (you can probably see what we're trying to do - prove the drive
good or bad for 'basic' use).

At a rough guess - I'd guess this might have something to do with 'density'
codes (or block sizes - e.g. 'variable length blocks'), as I've run into
problems before with either 'mt', or other software trying to set density
codes that my old tape drive (now gone to a better place) didn't like...

If it was me, I'd have to say the bottom one looks the more likely... Have a
look at the man page for 'mt' and look at the blocksize / density options, see
if you can set any of them - or get the drive to report anything back...

Hopefully someone else who's had some more recent experience with this kind of
problem might step in - if not, try moving the conversation to either the
-SCSI or -hardware lists...

Regards,

Karl