Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:52:01 +0200
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        DK <asdzxc111@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BigApache for Windows - Why doesn't BSD have an installerpackage like this ???

DK wrote:

> --- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>>All of these are available on FreeBSD too (except Mercury Mailserver,
>>which is just another Win32 MTA that I don't know about but somehow feel
>>reluctant to trust more than my Sendmail or Postfix installations).
>

> Yes, but not as ONE nice Package:
> eg: FreeBSD PORTS
> apache+mod_perl-1.3.31
> apache+mod_ssl+ipv6-1.3.31+2.8.18_4
>
> I tried to install apache+mod_ssl+ipv6-1.3.31+2.8.18_4 THEN apache+mod_perl-1.3.31
> and its messed up!!

Perhaps, in contradiction to Windows (in which you have to press : next
next next okay and your software is installed) you need to 'rtfm'. This
being said think the best way to install it, is using apache+mod_ssl...
as installation base, and then add mod_perl seperatly.  Can that be
done? Yes it can be done, and you would have known if you had asked or
read some documentation.

> If you want people(Windows user) using BSD on mass for servers etc, develop a Package that
> contains many of the necessary Apache modules:
> eg: ONE Package(NOT an array of messy Ports)

It works absolutly fine, i dont think we want one big package for
everything, then it would be like rpm and FreeBSD imo does not want to
follow Redhat and such. Oh and that requires a lot of disks for
installing, Suse anyone? (DVD or six seven CD's?).

> ESSENTIAL:
> Apache
> MySQL
> mod_ssl(Contains:OpenSSL)
> mod_perl
> PHP
>
> OPTIONAL:
> IMAP
> mod_python
> mod_auth_nds
> mod_auth_mysql
> mod_fastcgi
> mod_jk
> XML
> GD

All possible with the ports...

>>>--------------------------------
>>
>>Why isn't it easy for you to install all these things on FreeBSD?
>>
>>Which part of the installation troubles you?  A recent addition to the
>>Handbook was a section on Apache.  Perhaps, by letting us know what
>>gives you trouble we can improve the documentation to help you and
>>anyone else that tries to install an Apache web server from now on.
>

> Being a long time Windows 2000 user & a coder in C, C++, Assembler, Perl, PHP I am making a real
> effort to set up a Web Server on the FreeBSD platform.

Good, at least you try/

> I can install apache OK. Installing other modules(mod_perl, mod_ssl, php etc...) with it is a
> nightmare...

As said, read the documentation , or learn to search, since if you did
that and installd apache with modssl included. And you would have
searched you would have come across mod_perl and even mod_php, which is
apxs'ed into the apache library stuff and can be used within 'seconds'.

> What I have noticed so far about FreeBSD:
>
> FreeBSD is about 5 YEARS behind windows(I would actually say 1990, but people my have heart
> attacks) - apologies to all the hard work put in by BSD contributors!

I think we are in front of windows. We can have multiple users at the
same time, refresh our system without always having to reboot {update
some random pacakge in windows and it requires a reboot}. Besides that
BSD has nice SMP support, and AMD-64 support with working drivers, that
cannot be said from Windows XP 64bit eh?

> - with FreeBSD & Windows 2000 installed on the SAME computer, the GUI of Windows 2000 is MUCH
> faster than any of the BSD window managers(wmaker, FVWM, blackbox, fluxbox, XFCE(STILL can't start
> this from exec, whats the damn command startxfce4 ??? this doesn't work!)... I won't even comment
> on the shitty performance of KDE & GNOME - If people say it should be used without a GUI... they
> must be over 40, bald, lonely & most love shitty VI - I can EDIT any file faster on a GUI editor
> then any coder I have seen at UNI/WORK who say VI is better...

Well i dont agree on this one either, my gnome starts much faster then
windows and especially fvwm2 is very fast and light. And instead of
ranting on XFCE you can (again) ask how things work, it's not pressing
the next button here either. I think you are 20, full of hair and you
just love notepad. And that's fine, since i am 20,  full of hair and i
love vi.. everybody has it's editor... dont rant on that since that's lame..

> - No default GUI File Explorer(excluding KDE/GNOME, not that there's is usable) - had to install
> xfe on wmaker(still about as useless as Windows 3.1 File Manager)

</rant>

> - FreeBSD does NOT Default Mount my CD & Floppy(this is ridiculous - even MS DOS NOT to mention
> Windows 3.1[Year 1990... ring a bell] did this!!) - you honestly expect new users to edit
> configuration files so it automounts ?? ... instead of having stuff in the man/manual/docs about
> mounting/unmounting, just automount them as DEFAULT... no need to read the docs... logical ???

No they did not, you had to enable the driver first before it even got
recognized. Here you have the possibility to mount a floppy and a disk.
And again, the handbook has some information about this afaik/

> - 300 Million Users of Windows thinks so ;)) (BTW: I am NOT including KDE/GNOME)

Windows has a larger user base, that's correct.

> - No default Find Files GUI - I won't even comment on lack of functionality of Cmd line
> whereis/search/find

In gnome there is a find option that enables you to find files. And then
  there is find, which can do a lot more then you probably think now.

> I can tell you that 95% of people who use computers want "EASE of USE"
> - This INCLUDES easy installation of the Operating System

Following the handbook makes FreeBSD installable by nearly anyone.

> - This should INCLUDE a default setup that HAS: a Default FAST GUI/File Manager/Find Files/Editor
> .. this is all that is needed to get a user up & going to installing & configuring the OS to thier
> tastes ... did I forget to mention as default AUTOMOUNT !!

You should not shout that much, that's bad for your heart. FreeBSD has
features that enable you to pick what you want as X-client (window
manager), follow the handbook..

> I cannot tell you the shock & disappointment I had in finding out that Windows 2000 runs FASTER
> than FreeBSD with any GUI/Windows Manager/Desktop Environment ... :(((

Opinions, again i dont agree, and if you do find this i suggest you have
some benchmarks with what applications run faster, etc. Since then you
made a good point with some proof.

> ...damn I have gone way off track here... sorry for the ranting people... but after 6 days
> straight of messing around trying to install Apache/MySQL/Mod_Perl/Mod_SSL/PHP.. I am a little
> tired... 3 days of that was trying to get a basic GUI/File Manager/Find Files/Editor working

You perhaps should have asked, search, or rtfm before giving yourself a
heart beat of 160...

If you still think that it can be done better, you are free to alter
things so that it can do what you wish, since you tell us that you are
an experienced coder that should not be that hard..

Besides that: just ask us if something is weird for you, perhaps that's
the same for others and we should improve our documentation, instead of
ranting you can actually help us and others, in despite to windows in
which that is very hard to do so.

> Kind Regards,
>
> DK

Cheers