Date:      Fri, 09 May 1997 20:08:40 -0400
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New de driver

At 01:27 PM 5/8/97 -0400, Matt Thomas wrote:
>http://www.3am-software.com/ contains a pointer to a gzipped tar file
>which contain a new de driver that runs on 2.2-RELENG.  It does not
>require ifmedia support (but it will use it if it's there).

The above driver works fine under 2.1.7.1 as well.

>This non-ifmedia support has not been extensively tested but it is
>working on one of my test systems.  If you have a card that is not
>working with the current de driver, please try this driver and let
>me know the results.
>
>Note that this driver supports the 21143 and 21142 chips.  It contains
>fixes/workaround for all know errata on the 21x4x chips.

One thing I forget to note was you can select any of the available
media with this driver.  I use link{0,1,2} to form an index value
(linkX is bitX so link2 equals 4, link1 and link 0 equals 3, etc.).

0 does nothing
7 means autoselect (the default)
1..6 selects one of the media printed on boot:

de0: media: 1="10BaseT/UTP" 2="AUI/BNC" ...

So you can select full-duplex modes if you desire.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message