Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 13:50:49 -0400
From:      Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        Stuart Krivis <ipswitch@apk.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ExBSD

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 12:00:06PM -0400, Stuart Krivis wrote:

> Unix is unix. Once someone learns one well, it's quite easy to figure out
> another one. The vast majority of things will transfer right over.

This is a strength that should be promoted more.

> Their overall lack of knowledge is frightening.

I was in a movie theater last week and there was an ad up in the
previews I didn't really notice at first. But then it dawned on me that
it was a Microsoft Certification ad, with a bunch of kids in it saying
"I'm going to be certified when I grow up!"

Made me feel a little sick, and it was kind of Orwellian. Nothing like
targeting the youth in the theaters.

> If it's really broken, they just re-install.

Sadly, a lot of UNIX people do this too. Their training is often
suspect, and I always worry about a UNIX admin who never touches
anything but Windows outside of his immediate responsibility.

I've seen a lot of people actually reboot E-class Sun systems because
Oracle was performing badly, and similar nonsense.

One thing good I have noticed though, is that a lot of people using BSD
or Linux at home extensively, are often better admins even on other UNIX
than many who have been to expensive training programs. They tend to be
more willing and able to do the research needed to learn new things and
get a grip on variations in UNIX systems.

> Easy on the eyes? Yuck. I am not a fan of the Windows look. But that's just
> m opinion. Do you actually have any proof that Windows is easier to use or
> easier on the eyes? I didn't think so.

Most people when asked to look at a variety of GUI systems, do not
choose Windows. The last such test I saw showed NeXT and Apple pretty
much at the top, and interestingly, some systems like CDE scored higher
than Windows. It was especially telling when the participants had no
computer experience at all.

Even Windows users often pick other systems, and some of them are amazed
at the other GUI systems, having been unaware of their existence before.

> Application availability? How many spreadsheets do I need? How many of the
[snip]

I think the problem here isn't the number, but the fact that the average
Joe cannot go to CompUSA and find what they want.

While you might convince people that they don't need that plethora of
Windows crud, they can still point to some very real needs that are not
addressed in the UNIX world.

Of course, there are also some real gems in the UNIX world for free,
like Blender (3D modeling/animation) and The Gimp (2D paint and
manipulation).

What I hate is that most software is written to be Windows only. Lot's
of companies have demonstrated that it isn't that much harder to make
them portable, including a large number of games (typically very
difficult to make portable). In fact, it's probably harder to make a
program portable if written on a UNIX system, because you cannot depend
on Windows to be equally capable.

> How many of them are actually any good? How much time is wasted
> because you must reboot constantly when you're installing or removing
> a Windows app? It makes evaluating apps a real chore.

They don't evaulate at all, they just use what their system came with,
and most of the time it's Office.

Also, don't underestimate a Windows user's immense patience. I've
seen cube-farms of Windows people reboot incessantly while working on
spreadsheets and Windows programming. It's amazing they get anything
done at all, and I submit that often they don't.

When I worked for a certain very large bank, I know with certainty that
Windows snafus cost the bank millions of dollars, sometimes maybe that
much in a single quarter, and a single project. It wasn't uncommon for
me to take a Solaris/FreeBSD/Linux machine and do in hours what took
some of the Windows people weeks to do, and my results were correct.

But if you ever talked about replacing analysts with Windows machines
and using some simple shell and Perl scripts instead, the response was
basically "You must be kidding. We cannot trust our data to some hacked
up scripts, we need professionally developed software."

--
"I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do
all the things one wants to know about." - J. R. R. Tolkien