Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 14:26:35 -0400
From:      Sys Admin <abeaupre@chemcomp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca
Subject:   How to make PPP redial without outgoing packets

Hi.

From the ppp(8):

"If the connect fails, the default behavior is to wait 30 seconds and
then attempt to connect when another outgoing packet is detected. This
behavior can be changed with the "set redial" command."

How can the "set redial" command change the behavior of attempting to
connect only _when another outgoing packet is detected_?

My problem is that I use a crontab to make PPP dial at certain
intervals, and PPP then calls "fetchmail" as part of its ppp.linkup
script. So it won't try to redial if the connection fail, as there is no
outgoing packet yet!

I'm using FreeBSD 4.0 Release on a Pentium 166MHz.

Thanks!

Antoine Beaupre
Sys Admin
Chemical Computing Group