Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:12:52 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Subject:   Re: new kldpath(8): display/modify the module search path

John Baldwin wrote:

> On 20-Jun-01 Terry Lambert wrote:
> > What is the interaction with /etc/modules.old, when you are
> > booting a /kernel.old?
>
> In -current (which is where kldconfig(8) is going, btw) all
> modules live with their correspnding kernel in the same
> directory under /boot.  Thus modules and kernel are in sync
> for kernel.old, kernel, and
> kernel.fix_it_after_joe_random_committer_broke_it.

I thought this change was backed out, after everyone
hated it?

Even so, what ensures that the path is not reset by some rc
file to /boot/kernel, when the kernel that you booted was
/boot/kernel.old/kernel.ko?

I don't see that putting the modules under /boot with the
kernel module itself grants any protection from a bogus
mismatched module coming in as the result of a kldpath
command in an rc file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, or /etc,
for that matter.

-- Terry