Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:06:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HPT 370 BIOS RAID setup/install

Hi,

I currently have a 4.2-BETA system running off of ad4. I want to use the
BIOS RAID mirroring function of the HPT370 chipset. I describe my
situation first. The questions are at the end.

As I understand from reading various -stable and -current mailing list
messages, BIOS RAID with this controller is now supported.

The kernel sees the array and the drives:
ar0: 28629MB <ATA RAID1 array> [3649/255/63] subdisks:
 ad4: 28629MB <QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30> [58168/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA66
 ad6: 28629MB <QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30> [58168/16/63] at ata3-master UDMA66

Now if I try to mount the partitions under ar*, I get errors about the raw
partition size != slice size. The difference seems to be by 10 blocks.

The questions:
1) Is it possible to resize/relabel my partitions so as to work
properly? Seems like the BIOS is stealing 10 blocks away. How?
2) If 1) isn't possible, could a new 4.2-BETA installation directly onto
ar0 work? If so, what would I need to do special?
3) If 2) isn't possible, could I reinstall on ad* in a way that would
allow me to switchover to ar0 without the partition errors?

Thanks,

---
Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
                  -- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.