Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:35:23 -0700
From:      John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
To:        ticso@cicely.de, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB support for new HP printers?

On Monday 02 December 2002 05:13, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 11:36:15PM -0600, John Nielsen wrote:
> > Are there plans to add USB support for HP's newer printers to FreeBSD=
?
> > Specificially, the OfficeJets and the LaserJet 1200?  They use a
> > new/different/broken USB interface so they're just recognized as ugen
> > devices at the moment..
>
> Can you tell details about the difference?

Not really.  Pretty much everything I know I learned from corresponding w=
ith=20
David Paschal on the hpoj-devel mailing list (see hpoj.sourceforge.net). =
=20
If Geocrawler ever comes back up today you can browse the list.  See the=20
thread "FreeBSD howto?" starting August 26 2002.  Here is a quote from Mr=
=2E=20
Paschal in one of those e-mails:

"Hi, John.  The LaserJet 1200 advertises several alternate settings for t=
he
printer-class interface: 7/1/3 (for IEEE 1284.4 packets, the "new and
different USB interface" you mentioned), 7/1/2 (bidirectional raw print
data), and 7/1/1 (unidirectional raw print data).  If you can somehow
convince the ulpt driver to bind to 7/1/2 or 7/1/1 rather than just blind=
ly
binding to the first alternate setting it finds, then that should be all =
you
need."

The above quote is in reference to getting printing (and only printing) t=
o=20
work on an LJ 1200.  For full functionality, you'd need to do a bit more.=
 =20
I think the hpoj project was leaning towards a cross-platform userland=20
solution (hack?) rather than doing kernel mods on several different=20
platforms.

JN