Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 17:58:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.at
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 07-Mar-98 Terry Lambert wrote:

> Other than overcommitted tone generators and DTMF decoders in the case
> of a state of emergency (ie: the last earthquake of 6.x or higher), I
> have *never* had an interruption of phone service.  My power goes out
> with much greater frequency than my phones ever have.

It runs 20:1 in residential, 4-6:1 in commercial areas.

> I think if an ISP isn't part of the communications infrastructure,
> he'll be replaced by one of his competitors who is.  Reliability is
> starting to be one of the top line items people (at least in the US)
> are using when choosing an ISP, now that pricing is starting to fall
> into specific ranges for specific service offerings as the ISP
> competition space gets saturated.  ISP services are becoming a
> commodity.
>
> Try thinking of it this way: if you have a site selling cars that's not
> on an HA server, and your competitor has one that is on an HA server,
> and you have a power outage in your part of California, who is the
> guy in New York going to buy through, the server that's down or the
> server that's up?

Now that you agreed with me that HA servers are important, are you going to
help me build a FreeBSD one?  I would really love to have you involved in
this.  Your insight and understanding can only make it better.

I used to do this particular work for my employer, with the understanding
that generic code goes back to FreeBSD.  That agreement is still in force,
but I am leaving that job as soon as I can, but want to continue this work.