Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:19:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "stark" <stark@jeamland.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-RELEASE failing on Thinkpad T30

Well, I have a brand new IBM Thinkpad and it shipped with XP so I
decided to put FreeBSD on it.

4.7 (after I gave up on 5.0) installs and works FINE.  no problems whatsoever.

5.0, when I install it, does a kernel panic, randomly about 5 minutes into
the processing of packages.  I don't know what it is or why it happens,
but it really sucks.  I want my 5.0!

I tried installing 4.7, cvsup-ing to RELENG_5 (then to '.' cuz there is
no RELENG_5.  Why not?) but I can't get '.' to compile because gbde keeps
failing, looking for rijlaen-alg-fast.c (i think i spelled that right) which
isn't there.  IN FACT, cvsup-ing didn't put anything in src/sys/crypto at
all.  So basically I'm staying with 4.7 because I can't find any way at
all to get 5.0 to work.

Any suggestions for either problem?  I think that compiling my own kernel
would prevent the panics (between Intel IDE, ACPI, and the P4, a kernel
panic from a GENERIC kernel could be understandable, if disappointing) but
I can't compile my own kernel because I can't make buildworld (and having
a 5.0 kernel with a 4.7 world seems dumb to me :)

Dana Lacoste
Ottawa, Canada