Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 17:40:35 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@navinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Masquerading issues

I was browsing through the handbook for some instructions about IP
Masquerading.

It mentioned using NATD, which I'm not familiar with, but I was curious if
this was the only approach... or preferred.

I have a cable modem which receives a dynamic IP address from the cable
company, so, I have to devise a means such that the gateway machine I
create will go out to the cable modem (like Windoze95 does) look for the
dhcp broadcast, get the IP address, set it, and then do IP masquerading.  I
figured I would create an RFC network internally and run dhcpd on that
gateway so that my Windoze boxes will just boot up when on the LAN.

I figured that this topic is popular enough that there might be a good
"HOWTO" document you could point me to.

Thanks alot!

Forrest