Date:      Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:03:28 -0400
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Rick Preston" <rickjpreston@gmail.com>, "Steven Friedrich" <FreeBSD@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: can't figure out ssh, read lots of docs...

All the talk so far has been about how to stop attacks at your front
door. This does nothing to really get back at the attacker to stop
them from sending out their attacks. I use the
abuse-reporting-system scripts. I have my ipfilter firewall log all
these attacks/probes and then when the /var/log/security file rolls
over the log is passed through the scripts that does whois on
sending IP address to find ISP owner's abuse reporting email address
and then sends the firewall log records to the ISP. Before I started
running this abuse-reporting system I was getting over 1200
attacks/probes packets a day. Now after 6 months of running it I get
less than 60 per day which are first time packets hitting me. If you
really want to stop this trash form running up your bandwidth
charges this is the way to get back at the attackers. The owning ISP
just turns off their accounts. There is still some udp spoofing
happening but that is small compared to the rest of the trash
hitting your front door.

The abuse-reporting-system scripts can be downloaded from

http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/fbsd_installguide/index.php    or
http://freebsd.packards-home.net/index.php

It was submitted to FreeBSD as a port but not accepted yet.