Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:57:14 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Bryan Bursey <bbmail@cfdnet.me.tuns.ca>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>, "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, grog@lemis.com, khera@kciLink.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 06:10:48PM -0300, Bryan Bursey wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > 		1.  If you have updated your sources, the process of building
> > a kernel may depend on which version of certain tools may be
> > installed.  Therefore, the only safe way to build a kernel on such a
> > machine is to do the following:
> >
> > 			make buildworld
> > 			make buildkernel
> > 			make installkernel
> > 			shutdown (drop into single-user mode)
> > 			make installworld
> > 			mergemaster
> > 			reboot
> >
> > 		These steps require that you have defined "KERNEL=WHATEVER"
> > in /etc/make.conf.  If you have not, you will need to add
> > "kernel=WHATEVER" to the "make installkernel" command above.  This
> > will install the kernel /WHATEVER, and you will need to have
> > "kernel=/WHATEVER" in /etc/bootloader.conf.
> >
> > 		2.  If you have not updated your sources and just want to
> > rebuild the kernel with the sources you already have, use the
> > standard procedure:
> >
> > 			config WHATEVER
> > 			cd ../../compile/WHATEVER
> > 			make depend
> > 			make
> > 			make install
> >

> > 	Note that the steps given in #1 above will install a copy of the
> > GENERIC kernel.  If you have a customized kernel, you'll need to
> > follow those instructions to install the GENERIC kernel, and then
> > follow the steps in #2 above to install your customized kernel.
> >

> This last paragraph sound wrong to me.  If you've defined
> 'KERNEL=SOMETHING', then it will build the kernel defined by the SOMETHING
> config file, and _not_ GENERIC.

I'm not sure exactly where to jump in here, but I've been following
this thread with some interest as it was getting about time for me to
rebuild the world.

Anyway, just for the mail archives if nothing else, here goes....

I've just rebuilt the world starting at 20:00 BST 14/07 with sources
cvsup'd at 19:30 BST. Based on info gleaned from this thread I did the
following:

Added

	makeoptions     KERNEL=kernel

to my kernel config file (PARISH), then dropped to single user and

   # cd /
   # cp kernel kernel.good     # just to be on the safe side :)
   # cd /usr/src
   # make buildworld
   # make buildkernel KERNEL=PARISH
   # make installkernel KERNEL=PARISH

   [checked / and confirmed that the new kernel was installed as
   ``kernel'' and the original was now kernel.old]

   [reboot]

   # make installworld
   # mergemaster

My system is running perfectly :)

So, as I've come to expect of FreeBSD, it "just worked", and if *I*
can do it then so can everyone else. For all those who've talked about
the name the new kernel is installed as, I think the answer lies in the
``makeoptions'' line in the config file.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread; I now have an up to
date -STABLE system.

> We might also want to include the specifics of the 'chflags' commands that
> need to be issued for those that prefer not to modify /boot/loader.conf
> and have the kernel named 'kernel'.
>
> Cheers,
> Bryan

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?