Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:25:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: homemade PVR questions

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 at 15:33 -0500, Nicolas Blais wrote:

> I have a WinTV card and I can record with transcode (also possible
> with mencoder) but the problem is that whenever bktr (the wintv
> driver) is opened for read, the TV audio that is fed from my WinTV
> to my sound card thru the "line in" port is heard.

This depends upon the sound device but on the AC97 systems I have used
there are seperate controls for the recording level and the level
passed through to the speakers.

Try setting the line level to zero which controls the amount of
line-in mixed into the output.  The rec control sets the input level for
the currently selected input device.

I have the following setting on one of my machines:

Mixer vol      is currently set to  80:80
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  80:80
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  80:80
Mixer rec      is currently set to  80:80
Recording source: mic

This mixes pcm and cd together to the output.  The mic and line inputs
are not mixed into the output since their output level is 0.

The recording is from the mic source with a recording gain set by the
rec control.
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone