Date:      Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:53:56 +0200
From:      Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for opinions: what is spam

Bill Moran wrote [heavily snipped]:
> Got an email today through the "moreinfo@" address for my
> company, which is listed on the web site on the contact
> page.  The email stated that "I got your email from a
> list server".
>
> Now, technically this is a lie, because the "moreinfo@" address
> is _never_ used to _send_ mail, so it would never appear on
> any list server.

Perhaps it's got something to do with me being paranoid, but
I read this as "I got your email form a server we spammers use
that hosts a list of valid email addresses so heeeeeeuge, you
wouldn't believe".

> So my first question is: "Is this spam?"

Yep, it definitely is, I received a similarly worded mail recently,
and it was addressed to a sales@ account that it's only sign of
existense is a link on a corporate site.

--kkonstan