Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 12:07:47 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, FreeBSD-Ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing octave

> >  * ld: ../libcruft/libcruft.a(ddassl.o): RRS text relocation at 0x9cf37 for
> >  * "_do_fio"
> >
> > Add -fpic to the cc command line of ddassl.o.  This fixed a similar
> > problem in msql.  I don't know why, it's not supposed to make any
> > difference since this is a static lib but it does.  Maybe John can
> > elaborate.
>
> Well, whatever the problem is, I've verified adding -fpic isn't the
> answer, nor -fPIC.  Hhhmph!

It's virtually guaranteed that PIC and/or shared libraries are involved
somehow in this problem.

If you'll send me the following, I might be able to help figure out
what's going on:

    * The full make output (including the "ld" command) for the command
      that produced the diagnostic you quoted.

    * The full make output for all the steps involved in creating
      libcruft.a.  That means all the compilations to produce the .o
      files going into it, plus whatever was done to produce the library
      itself.

    * Just for fun, the output of this command, run on your make output:

	egrep -i 'pic|share|\.so\>'

John