Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:32:00 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Johannes Dieterich <dieterich.joh@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <alex.kovalenko@verizon.net>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Patch to enable temperature ceiling in powerd

--==_Exmh_1203543120_81195P

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:10:41 +0100
> From: Johannes Dieterich <dieterich.joh@googlemail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
>
> Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 14:40 +0100, Johannes Dieterich wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> some not so nice news:
> >>
> >> That still holds true. Unfortunately portupgrade gcc overheats it again.
> > You might want to do
> >
> > sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1
> > sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV=85C
> >
> > and see if this gets you through the gcc compilation.
> for a long long time it looked very good. But then it again overheated.I
> might want to stress again that it happened out of a sudden. sysctl
> dev.cpu reports 83-87 degrees for a long time and then it SUDDENLY shuts
> down saying it is over 127 degrees. The workload between those two data
> points has not changed.

This is sounding like a hardware problem.

On almost all modern systems, the CPU temperature is read from a single
junction on the silicon of the CPU. If it makes sudden, inexplicable
jumps, this implies that either the junction on the chip or the support
hardware on the mobo (this is analog stuff) is misbehaving.

It is possible that something is causing BIOS to handle the values
incorrectly, but that would seem very unlikely to me.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

--==_Exmh_1203543120_81195P