Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 14:33:37 +0100
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        ports@freebsd.org, Seva Gluschenko <gvs@demos.net>
Subject:   Re: ports/46863: tin newsreader improperly deals with charsets

On 2003-01-08 16:13:02 (+0300), Seva Gluschenko <gvs@demos.net> wrote:
> Message of Philip Paeps at Jan 8 13:53 ...
> PP> Tin now uses iconv, and can be configured to 'translate' to a proper charset
> PP> when one is not given.  In your ~/.tin/attributes file, you could put
> PP> something like:
> PP>
> PP>   scope=*
> PP>   undeclared_charset=iso-8859-1
>
> I found nothing related in README (perhaps, inattentive reading?) and an
> attempt to define default charset during compile time had no effect. Thank
> you for advice, anyway.

It's mentioned in tin(5):

 | undeclared_charset
 |       Assume (broken) articles without MIME charset declaration
 |       have  this  charset - default is US-ASCII. This attribu
 |       works only on systems with working iconv(3), others might
 |       have to compile tin with --disable-mime-strict-charset.

> PP> In any case, over here, iconv deals with charsets quite nicely.  Nicer than
> PP> the disable-mime-strict-charset switch, I find :-)
>
> Will see %) Thanks again.

Basically, using iconv(3) and undeclared_charset is more flexible than
configuring with --disable-mime-strict-charset.  If you use the latter, Tin
will always try to do something intelligent to messages with undeclared
charsets, and you have no real control over it.  Using iconv(3) and
undeclared_charset settings in your attributes, you can make your own
decisions for different 'scopes':

scope=ru*
undeclared_charset=KIO-8 # something to that effect?

scope=pl*
undeclared_charset=iso-8859-2

scope=be*
undeclared_charset=iso-8859-15

Good luck :-)

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                          Please don't CC me, I am
philip@paeps.cx                                       subscribed to the list.

  To spot the expert, pick the one who predicts the job
  will take the longest and cost the most.