Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 22:25:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, faulkner@mpd.tandem.com, kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, hackers@FreeBSD.org, root@morton.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: What I'd *really like* for 2.0.5

> All the probe messages irritate the hell out of me.  The style is
> inconsistent in many places and I still maintain that I do *NOT* want
> to know about all the things it didn't find, I want to know about only
> the things it did since the "fnob0: not found" messages just obscure
> the messages I'm really looking for (or cause them to scroll off the
> screen).  Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority here as a number
> of other folks say that they like all that "extra diagnostic information."

With the advent of userconfig, I'm for removing them.  Now you can use
userconfig to see what drivers you have in your kernel.

Lets kill them now.

> I say fiddlesticks, and it's time to make the -v flag earn its keep.
> FreeBSD should either shut up entirely or spew loads of stuff at you
> if you boot with -v.

Not "shut up entirely".  We want it to tell us what if found.
By maybe just the "found" messages should be printed as default.
All the "X Mb/s MAC-address-" kind of stuff can die for all I care.

> Anyone of a mind to go on a little boot message reform rampage?
yes please.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'