Date:      Tue, 6 Dec 2011 09:53:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Subject:   Re: Linux compatibility with more than one Linux installed?

> The X server has a unix socket somewhere in /tmp. Normally this is used instead of a TCP connection to the localhost. You need to change the DISPLAY
> env-variable to use a TCP connection, or you need o make the unix socket available to the chrooted linux-env.

> The linuxulator in FreeBSD is nearly linux 2.6.16 compatible. We lack inotify and epoll support which the 2.6.16 kernel normally supports. If your system does
> not depend upon inotify, epoll and anything newer than 2.6.16, it should work. If you give it a try, please report success or failure to
> emulation@FreeBSD.org.

> Bye,
> Alexander.

Now I might have something to try, but it is very unlikely that I would build a Linux kernel <= 2.6.16, especially with new hardware that might need the latest drivers.  I will primarily want to run Linux natively rather than under FreeBSD.

I think emulators/linux_dist-gentoo-stage3 and emulators/linux_base-gentoo-stage3 must use kernel far beyond 2.6.16.

But I think, when chrooting into Linux from FreeBSD, FreeBSD kernel is the one in effect.

Tom