Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:43:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert D. Keys" <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        DSetzer@yorkcity.org (Douglas Setzer)
Cc:        beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA, cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a 386 with 8 Mb RAM and 300Mb HD

> What is a Serial Console?

Traditionally a Teletype Model 37, according to Ritchie, from V1 days.
They be a bit scarce these days, and 110 baud is a tad slow.
Sometimes a Teletype Model 33 was used as a cheaper alternative.
Watch out if you use current loop as the interface of choice.
I blew up the board traces on my first machine by mixing loop/rs232 (OUCH!).
Sometimes glass ttys were used if you were rich and needed faster.
Practically, these days, any old leftover pc with kermit and vt100 emulation.

> > I know I'll have to buy more rom... (I don't even have  a keyboard nor a
> > screen!!!) I intend to connect it to my PC (166 Mhz, 32MB RAM, 3,2Gb, 33.6
> > Mdem, CDROM, etc...) running FreeBSD227R and win95.

I shudder to mix *nix and that other thing.....(:+\\.....

> You'll need a keyboard/monitor for initial setup, but they can be
> removed and you can use a serial console afterwards.

Sometimes the keyboard is required, because of hardware POST, but I use an
old junk bank toy keyboard.  V5 runs better on it that way.....

Surely we be kidding round the ol' java pot.....(:+}}.....?

RDK