Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:38:26 +0300
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS Export truncate files ?

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 19:37, Ian Lord wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we use cvs for in house developpement of a php web site...
>
> We use "cvs update to sync files", "cvs checkout" when a new employee
> need to work on the files, and "cvs export" when we push the changes
> to the production web site...
>
> For some reason, we found that "cvs export" truncated a couple of
> files which caused parsing errors... I don't see any error message
> While it's doing it, I see the following extract:
>
> cvs export: Updating pub/class
> U pub/class/class.session.cmd
> cvs export: Updating pub/class/html2pdf
> cvs export: Updating pub/class/html2pdf/cache
> cvs export: Updating pub/class/html2pdf/classes
>
> Is it normal that the class.session only has a "U" in front of the
> line instead of "cvs export: Updating"
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is it some sort of bug/limitation with
> the cvs export function ?

=46rom cvs man:

       export [-flNnQq] -r rev|-D date [-d dir] [-k kflag] module...
              Requires: repository.
              Changes: current directory.

I guess what you search for is "cvs commit"

       commit [-lnR] [-m 'log_message' | -F file] [-r revision] [files...]
              Requires: working directory, repository.
              Changes: repository.