Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2006 05:56:03 -0400
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Subject:   Re: portmanager port upgrade question

Boris Samorodov wrote:

> > Can anyon tell me why this port is marked ignore? Has it been superseeded?
>
> You may consider reading /usr/ports/UPDATING.
>
> BTW, it's the right file to read from time to time and especially if
> you have questions about the port system. ;-)

The info you are searching for is in the file under the: 20060616 date
tag.

Personally, why a new source was not created so that anyone downloading
FreeBSD, and conversely not familiar with its workings, would not have
to go through this rigmarole is beyond me. If they wanted to keep a
clearly obsolete version around for what ever reason it should have been
so marked as such. For someone doing a fresh install, there is no reason
to go this route, IMHO.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard@seibercom.net