Date:      04 Dec 1999 20:55:46 -0800
From:      cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, gallatin@cs.duke.edu, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP firmware compiled in as a default....

Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> writes:
> Nope, I don't think so. I pretty much always had been downloading f/w.

False.  see NetBSD sys/dev/ic/isp.c:

revision 1.18
date: 1998/01/28 19:09:24;  author: mjacob;  state: Exp;  lines: +9 -5
Fix for port-alpha/4903- always download f/w unless config flags say
no or we have no firmware to download.

and/or:

http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=4903

> There was a hop skip and dance with some f/w and Chris's machine
> [ ... ]

yeah: before that patch, you _weren't_ always downloading the
firmware, and the DEC ISP firmware didn't work with your isp driver.
8-)

cgd