Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:36:03 +0100
From:      Oliver Humpage <bittern@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        oliver@watershed.co.uk
Subject:   Odd vinum config

Is it possible to set up a mirrored volume in vinum, but only set *one*
of the plexes to be used for reading?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm making a Network Attached Storage box,
which I think should have SCSI disks and RAID 1. Unfortunately, our
budget doesn't stretch to 8 73GB SCSI drives :-)  So I wondered about
having 4 73GB SCSI drives concatenated for the main storage space, and 2
160GB IDE drives (also concatenated) as a RAID 1 mirror. However, I
don't want to put too much load on the IDE drives, so I thought perhaps
vinum could be set *not* to read from them, merely to write (although,
if a SCSI drive failed, of course it would have to read from them!).

Or if that isn't possible, any other ideas?

Thanks,

Oliver.

PS If this gets to you in HTML, blame Apple's mail.app... ;)