Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:37:56 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike <mike@vee.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user ppp permission problems

> Hi people,
>
> I'm trying to get user ppp working for users other than root. It works
> fine for root. I've added
>   allow user foo
> to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf in the appropriate section and added user foo to
> group network, but I'm getting this error message:
>
>   No tunnel device is available (Permission denied)
>
> Playing with tun0's permissions didn't work. I'm using 3.0-RELEASE.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks.

Have you more /dev/tun* entries than just tun0 ?  It's possible that
the above error is coming from (say) tun1 - if tun0 is in use, ppp
will try to open tun1 then tun2 etc 'till it fails with ENOENT a few
times.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;