Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:38:08 -0600
From:      Michael Barnett <mbarnett@measuremap.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAE causing system crashes

It ran fine when we were only throwing a few dozen qps at it... when
we tried to throw about 350qps its way, it was much much slower...
slower than our existing server with significantly fewer resources
available.

I never could figure out what the issue was... tried recompiling with
different options, allocating more and less memory to mysql (really
to innodb as all our tables are innodb), and a number of system
tweaks to no avail.

Are you running it on an opteron, or on a xeon?  I have heard things
go much smoother on AMD hardware.

Anyways.. the damage is done.  We are back on i386 and I just need to
make it go!    Right now i am just running with the stable non-PAE
kernel that limits access to 4G of memory while i work this out.

-m