Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:18:58 -0500
From:      "Travis H." <solinym@gmail.com>
To:        "Adam Clark" <adam.clark@ngv.vic.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ALTQ on a process on the router

On 7/12/06, Adam Clark <adam.clark@ngv.vic.gov.au> wrote:
> I want to make bittorrent lowest priority traffic.
>
> It's a shame that you cant do inbound queuing, to implement rate
> limiting there.

Deja vu.

While I didn't think about TCP window size modulation, the canonical
answer to this is that there are no queues on inbound packets because
the processor processes them immediately.  Certainly with UDP traffic,
which bittorrent now uses, there's virtually no point.  Dropping the
inbound packets will not help keep your WAN link from saturating,
because they've already passed through it, and apart maybe from ICMP
source quench, there's no mechanism for rate limiting the remote
peers.
--
Resolve is what distinguishes a person who has failed from a failure.
Unix "guru" for sale or rent - http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/ -><-